So I have to laugh when I see my last post was called "an oddly decent week" - I'm thinking that was just asking for trouble!
Nate started the Sunday before Xmas with red sticky eyes and a high temperature. I took him to our local nearest hospital who gave us antibiotics for a chest infection (?) and sent us away. A few hrs later he was worse and so we took him to the main hospital. ( we have open access to both but if an overnight stay is needed or suspected the main one is the only one that can cater for his nippy ventilator). He was seen by drs and deemed to have an ear infection, which the antibiotics would help with unless it was due to a virus and we we sent home again. We had a difficult night managing nate on his ventilator and ended up back at the main hospital the next day. We finally got through to the dr that Nate can do scarey things with a high temp and they kept us in. By this time his ear was really bad apparently. We got home the next day.
The run up to Christmas was one of panic. As soon as his ear seemed better he started with snot and a cough and was very tired. somehow we got through Xmas but his antibiotics ended on Xmas day and by Tuesday his temp shot up again. Suddenly and scarily. He went floppy and started to shake all over and started needing more oxygen. Calling an ambulance seemed pointless after the 23 minute wait last time, so we hoofed calpol and ibuprofen down his ng and chucked him in the car and intended to go to the main hospital
. We didn't make it. He went a "bit funny" in the car and we headed to the local hospital
A and e instead. Cue me running in saying my baby isn't breathing well please help. Well that allowed que jumping! Lots of blood was taken but his temp was over 40 and we were put on the children's ward. It took till 11pm before we were transferred to the main hospital with 2 panicky paramedics who "don't like children they do funny things". At the main hospital the machine that Nate responds best to wasn't available and we had to make do with sats of 86 on his nippy :(. Eventually a humicare machine was stolen from PICU and he started to improve over a few days. It was haemophilus influenza. Which starts as ear and eye infection and spreads downwards. The right antibiotics made a difference.
Me and Michael did our usual 2 days on 2 off staying with Nate overnight and we were faced with new years eve apart for the first time in 10 years. My husband and eldest are sneaky gits though and at 11.40 pm I was awoken on the ward by a lively 5 year old and the hubby. So we got to spend new year as a family :) Nate escaped hospital the next day.
So it's a new year now, and yes I'm still feeling stressed, anxious and low. But it's better than this time last year when I spiralled into depression as the new year had make me think of everything that had happened with Nate since birth. The new year needs to bring change. We have made some hard financial decisions I won't go into, and need to move house, desperately. But I need to focus on optimism, fresh starts, family, a new baby niece, and the good things in our life.
I'm sure I've said it before but the first couple of years of my daughter's life were like this, but now that she has grown out of some things and had her tonsils out, she is a healthy as any other child. Hope it works out that way for Nate too. Happy New Year and I really hope that 2012 is a better one for your whole family xx
ReplyDelete